Homeschool!


Our family has made the decision to homeschool Norah this year. Our reasons and decision making process will be a post of its own. For now I just want to get started documenting our journey. 

Homeschool is interesting because is can be hard to define and quantify. Any involved parent is really homeschooling their child already. We read with Norah, teach her letters, take her places, answer her never ending questions...so really we have already been homeschooling for 5 years! The only thing that changes this year is she will not be starting traditional school. 

I believe I could really just step back and let Norah direct almost all of her learning. When she wants to write a note to a friend, she learns how to formulate words and sentences. When she is eager to read a book to her brother or figure out the word on her favorite cereal box, she learns how to put sounds together and read. She wants to know how to give the whole family an equal piece of pie - math! Unschooling works, I've no doubt about that. However....

I love order and planning and schedules. I am slowly learning how to let some of this go, but I do think I need to create an environment in which I can thrive along with the children. My plan for this year continually changes, but I know a few things. 

We will have a daily schedule of sorts. We will have a curriculum of sorts. We will get out of the house and do things with friends and the homeschool group. 

Until September we are focusing on art and reading. Just because. 

I found this awesome book at a local thrift store for $1! 


Norah and I tried using watercolours and straws the other day:


I painted Joshua jumping in a puddle. 

Norah painted a backyard pool. 

For reading we are making a goal to read every kid's book in our home before the end of summer! 



Comments

  1. What an adventure it will be for all of you! I expect you'll have to (loosely?) follow a curriculum, but to head off into exploring the question of the moment instead of "Today we'll be doing pages 25-39 in our math books" kind of regiment sounds so exciting. You'll be kept on your toes (just like Norah when she dances!) preparing for what's next. Please keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a note!

Popular Posts