Being Spoiled

Jared's company is so very good to us. Every year they pay for a 4 day vacation in the mountains. It is part training time and part relaxation. The whole thing is so enjoyable. 

We are staying at a resort that we could never afford - 2 bedrooms and 2 baths for the 3 of us. A full kitchen, deck, 2 televisions, 3 fireplaces. I feel spoiled and was glad that Norah recognized this as "super fancy".  

While I certainly don't mind being spoiled, I really want to make sure my kids grow up appreciating how unnecessary this all is. I don't want them feeling like they deserve this or becoming blind to how "super fancy" this all is. I want this weekend to be the exception not the rule. 

So far it has been easy - we've been too poor to afford this on our own, but what about the next 15 years? What happens if our savings grows and we can afford trips like this on our own?  What happens if Jared starts earning the vacations his company offers twice a year? 

Sometimes I feel much more comfortable when I'm scraping by - when I have to dig in the couch cushions for coffee money. 

Thoughts? 

-Joshua seems to enjoy the plush bedding! 


Comments

  1. Thank God (and Jared's company) for this blessing. God doesn't call everyone to just squeak by or to be poor. Some are called to be rich(er) than others. It's what you do with the wealth and what you teach your children about it that matters. Think of how many other lives you could bless if your cup runs over!

    Love to you and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I love you and love this. And I agree with what Kim said and think that if one day you do have the extra money, that does not mean that you have to live like you have extra money. Our cousin Kim told me once to decide before you have them money what is enough. What size house, what kind of car, what type of trips. Just because you may get more doesn't mean you have to spend more on luxuries and deciding beforehand can help hold you accountable. If I am ever blessed with children I want them to still appreciate the fancy things too. The girls I take care of do not, and it breaks my heart and steals some of the joy of doing fun things when nothing is really special anymore. I so wish we lived closer! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good advice from cousin Kim. Sorry to hear that she moved farther away from you - how dare she! Distance between cousins is frustrating!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a note!

Popular Posts