O Holy Night

I was listening to "O Holy Night" tonight and had to look up the lyrics. I don't think I had ever really heard them before:

O Holy Night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of the dear Saviour's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining.
Till He appeared and the Soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.


"Long lay the world in sin and error pining" Laying in sin - that's the worst. This makes me visualize all of us - me - lying in my sin. Not running through it, not throwing it off, but lying in it. No thanks! I like the next part "in error pining" I do feel myself pining for God.

For the last few months, every time I find myself rocking Norah to comfort her or help her fall asleep I end up singing "As the Deer panteth for the water, so my soul longeth after thee..." I think my soul knew before my mind did that I was pining for more of Jesus. My soul wants to feel its worth!

I have spent the last few years in a bit of a stale place. I haven't felt like I was sliding backwards in my faith, but not moving forward may be just as dangerous! I need more! God deserves more. And the best part: I think I am beginning to grasp that it isn't me who needs to give more. I don't have to do anything except actively love God and, and as Mike Mason puts it "embrace entirely God's point of view". Lovely. Restful. Inspiring.

I feel privileged and honored that God has placed so many signs and people in my life that have pointed me to this place. Who am I?

There are great things to come!

Comments

Popular Posts